Villa Matilda, locally known as “the Castle” overlooks the Lake of Como, whose views can be admired from all rooms. Set in the middle of a big garden, it is a building in a pure Italian Pre-Renaissance style, constructed with carved stones on an eighteenth-century edifice.
To the elegance and lightness of these details, should be added those of the Interior, carefully chosen by the owner of the Villa the Engineer Mr Caprodi. Fine Art collector, he took care of every single decorative and furniture element and also included antique original items belonging to his private collection. The most evident are the “bois de rose” carved floors in the dining room, the large glass window in “cathedral” style, the beautiful sixteenth-seventeenth centuries fireplaces (whose twin part is actually preserved in the Poldi Pezzoli Museum in Milan), made in pink stone from Siena-Tuscany, the ancient Tuscany pottery decorating the main entrance, the rich coffered ceilings with frescoes and the internal teak staircase, in pure English style.
A bricks and stones battlements in romantic style defines the property on the street, joining the driveway access point and a second noble pedestrian access, consisting of a staircase entirely made of stones.
The garden is furnished with architectural elements styled with the house: a fountain, copy of the “Certosa di Pavia,” frames and small terracotta reliefs, placed in the masonry.
The latest historical additions have been made by the Engineer Mr Caprodi in 1924.